Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Depression

It was about a year ago that it began for me. Sophomore year of college. I was ready for anything, or so I thought. Little did I know that I was about to be hit hard with the reality of a disease I knew I'd been battling my entire life. It can come out of nowhere, and it can go in spurts; Depression.
"I am not depressed."
It's a phrase I kept saying over and over again. I kept trying to convince myself that it wasn't real and there wasn't anything wrong with me and that it would pass. And then, I hit rock bottom. It happens every day to millions of Americans across the nation. Some deal with it and get help, and some don't.
According to PBS.org, major depression affects approximately 15 million American adults ages 18 and over every year, and women experience depression about twice as often as men.
Though sometimes it doesn't feel like it, a depressed person is not alone.
I was there. I said that no one understood and no one ever would, and it's true that no one can experience what you are feeling, but the fact that you are feeling it doesn't mean that no one else is.
It's like being physically sick. Where do you go? The doctor.
Where do you go when you are mentally sick? The doctor.
Getting help is the first step, and it does take alot to admit that you're having problems. Everyone wants to believe that everything will be okay, and it's true: everything will be okay. That's what getting help is about.
Roughly 80% of people experiencing depression are not currently receiving treatment (pbs.org). Think about it. Of the 15 million Americans that do get help, there are still so many out there that aren't being treated.
When I hit rock bottom, I knew it and I knew something was wrong. I knew I had to talk to someone, and I did. I talked to my best friend at the time for about 5 hours in the crisp fall air on a bench in the middle of Mercyhurst and she encouraged me to go to the health center, which is free (helloooo). I remember bawling at 5 in the morning, thinking to myself, how can things get worse?
After getting help and talking to someone professionally, I began to improve. I'm also on an anti-depressant called Paxil which really helps things alot.
The purpose of this post is to help people realize that it's okay to admit you have a problem. I used to think to myself, "I have a great life and I have nothing to be sad about. Why do I feel this way?"
There is nothing you can do about a chemical imbalance. Sometimes the only place to turn is medicine, therapy and counseling, and look at the improvements in medical technology today. We live in an amazing country and those of you who attend Mercyhurst should be aware that the Cohen Student Health Center is an amazing facility that exists for a reason other than physical needs.
Don't let depression bother you for another minute if it's something you're dealing with. You're not alone, and people are here to help you. Talk to a friend, a parent, a teacher.. anyone who will hear you out, listen, and encourage you. It's okay. Things are going to be okay.
Hold on.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow! I know it must have been very difficult for you to write this entry. It just shows though that you did receive the help you needed and were able to get better. You're right; there are so many people I know that are depressed and are not getting help. Someone very close to me struggled with depression for a while and is now finally better. It is a very long and difficult struggle but I am glad you got the help you needed and are now doing better!