Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vice Presidential Debate

That was so intense!
First, some commic relief:
As I sat on my couch with a bowl of macaroni and cheese on my lap (which you will find is my favorite food), I couldn't decide what to think about Sarah Palin's Alaskan, backwoods accent. I can't lie, it sparked a couple of jokes between my roommate and me.

"Whell ya knoe, ya can't just tak the tak and not walk the walk. And hellou to that third grade class out in Glenwood, (with a non-chalant wink at the camera guy)."

At this point in the debate (the school shout-out part), I almost lost my macaroni because I was laughing so hard, not only at her accent (which she can't help, I guess) but at the things she said and the off-the-path way she said them. It was almost as if the lights were on but no one was home. I realize she must have been nervous debating against a man as intimidating as Joe Biden, but it felt more impersonal than I expected.


They say that most news anchors try to speak to the camera as if they were speaking to one person on the other end of the screen rather than a large crowd. I felt like she was reading off of a telepromptor, and though she didn't act nervous in front of that crowd and millions of Americans as well, I felt as if her side of the debate was very dull and impersonal, not to mention off topic most of the time.

Biden on the other hand made me feel as if he was fighting for what he believes in, not just saying what I wanted to hear. I didn't feel like he acted at all like he had to impress anyone. He simply presented his opinions, and he did it in a manor that did impress me. Maybe it's the fact that he's a bit older and seemingly more experienced than Palin that sweeps me off my feet. Or, it could be that he acts like he knows what he's talking about that charms me, and I'm starting to believe that maybe he does. I appreciated the fact that he was able to make an emotional connection with viewers/listeners when he spoke about his wife and daughter, and I found it kind of disheartening when Palin continued to ramble about topics that were not only non-related, but completely off-topic of the question asked originally.

Throughout the debate, I found it hard to agree with things Palin said. This is how I view her: I am her troubled niece, America, (not her daughter because we all know what's going on there), and she is an aunt (a vice presidential candidate in actuality) that I see on occasion every now and then. When I am in the worst of times (which we are right now) I feel like she tries to advise me on what I should/shouldn't do, but I don't think she really knows what she's talking about. I feel like she's been told by my parents (McCain) what she should say.

She annoys me, and that's the conclusion I've come to tonight.
I'm so annoyed by her lack of personal connection and it's having a major affect on who
I will or won't vote for come November 4th.
And what happens if the worst should occur; McCain dies or is assassinated?
That's a topic for a different blog.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I watched majority of the debate and I do feel Palin went off topic a lot. But with the going off topic she did hit on some issues. Overall was it a good debate for both candidates, i believe so. Palin did at some points seem very scripted but i believe so did Biden. They both seemed to touch on the issues they wanted too. I will say though that Palin attacked Biden and I didn't see much of that from Biden. Now that the VP debates are over its time as they say for the "main attraction" to move forward and both Obama and McCain have two more debates left.